ARIZONA — The unusually dry winter and warm temperatures could bring an early start to Arizona’s wildfire season, and the Arizona Sheriff’s Association wants you to be prepared.
The fifteen Arizona Sheriff’s have adopted Ready, Set, Go! (RSG), a program that educates residents about proactive measures to take before an emergency and actions to follow when communities are threatened. The program’s three tenets encourage Arizonans to get READY by preparing now for what threatens their community, be SET by maintaining awareness of significant danger and to GO, evacuate immediately when the danger is current and life-threatening.
“We’re excited and proud to implement the Ready, Set, Go! program for all-hazards across the state,” said Arizona Sheriff’s Association President Mark J. Dannels. “Our primary goal is to keep Arizonans safe and we believe the message of preparing early and being set to evacuate at a moment’s notice will help us achieve that goal.”
Beginning today, the Arizona Sheriff’s Association, in partnership with the Arizona Department of Emergency and Military Affairs, launched a statewide educational campaign to increase awareness of Arizona’s adoption of Ready, Set, Go! and actions residents should take during each step:
READY: “Prepare now”
• Be aware of hazards that can threaten your community.
• Register for your county’s emergency notification system.
• Create defensible space around your home by keeping grass mowed short and trimming vegetation.
• Build an emergency supplies kit. Start with the five P’s: people and pet supplies, prescriptions, papers, personal needs and priceless items.
SET: “Be alert”
• There is significant danger in your area.
• Consider voluntarily relocating to a shelter or with family/friends outside of the affected area.
• This might be the only notice you receive.
• Danger in your area is current and life-threatening.
• Evacuate immediately to a shelter or to family/friends outside the affected area.
• Follow instructions from emergency personnel, and stay on designated evacaution routes.
The Ready, Set, Go! program amplifies the common goal of all-hazards preparedness. Successfully preparing for an emergency encourages personal responsibility to protect yourself, your family and your property.
Visit ein.az.gov to learn more about hazards in the state and how to prepare. For additional Ready, Set, Go! information, follow Twitter at @AZSheriffs and @AzEIN.
The Arizona Sheriffs Association is the one united credible voice representing law enforcement and public safety for the counties of Arizona.